Friday, October 09, 2009

More about urine color and blood tests

I have gotten a lot of hits on urine color in the last few weeks, so I thought I would go more in depth than I have in the past. Urine should be a shade of yellow, darker yellow is a more concentrated urine that can often be found on a hotter day, paler yellow is ideal. Brown or red urine is usually a sign of bleeding. This can be caused by a variety of things, but the appearance of blood in the urine should not be shrugged off. Your vet should see your dog within 24 hours I found a wonderful vet link that not only adresses the above topic but also gives a great advice on reading and understanding a blood test result. Normal parameters for each level aren't included here but will be on your test result. I always request a copy of my dogs test results and keep them in a file with all my vet records. The vet keeps these on hand as well, but I like to keep my own personal file. That way, when I change vets, move or have to take a dog to the emergency clinic I have them handy.

No comments: